Sunday, February 1, 2009

"You've got your hands full!"

As a mother of close-aged children, I've probably heard this phrase almost as many times as I've changed poopy diapers. Well, that may be an exaggeration but it sure feels like it. Sometimes I wish I would hear things like "wow, you must be super mom", or " you're one tough cookie". But alas, I get the generic "you've got your hands full". Thank you, thank you for noticing.

But while one ponders the phrase, you must admit it sounds rather silly. Why of course my hands are full, wouldn't anyone with more than 2 children have their hands full? Or sillier yet is hearing it while you have one in the world and one in the womb. As was a constant in stores from the sweet old grandma types. All the while trying to holding your 16 month old and trying to maneuver his body around the orb that was soon to be his little sister. But with each and every encounter with the silly remark I became more accustom to just throwing out a quick "yes" in response. As time has gone on, and one more child has entered my arms, I feel inclined to now smile with my biggest cheesy(slightly sarcastic) grin I say "YES they are!" .

I'm no longer aggravated when I hear the repetitive verbiage. In fact, I'm proud to hear it! Yes, my hands may be full, but my children clothes are all matching(minus the sock that occasionally ditches their mate), and they aren't running around the store screaming " I want those mocho-cocoa -gummy-yummy-tutu-swirls". Though an occasional "I want to hold what ever ___(insert opposing sibling's name here) is holding" is a common store occurrence. So with my "full hands" comes my oh so Full, and sometimes overflowing, heart.

In writing this blog I wish to enlighten those who don't understand, put a smile on the face of those who do, and give hope to and encourage those who feel like they may not survive it!

1 comment:

  1. I relate sooooo very well. Although I get the "You are CRAZY!!" remarks a lot too :oP

    ReplyDelete